My husband really loves chicken cordon bleu. I tried this casserole idea out thinking maybe we could get the taste he loves, the easy recipes I like AND try to cut down on some of the carbs at the same time…he said, this is seriously the best thing you have made in a long time. He likes a lot of what I try, so that is saying something! Go ahead and double the golden round (ritz) crackers if you don’t mind the extra carbs:) You can skip the sauce, but I don’t suggest it…it is AMAZING!
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half and crosswise
8-10 slices of thin sliced ham
6 swiss cheese slices
3 Tbsp. butter, melted
1/2 cup of Ritz crackers, crushed
1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and coat a 9 x 13 baking dish generously with cooking spray.
- Layer the chicken in the bottom of the baking dish. Next, layer the chicken with the ham slices and then cover the entire dish with swiss cheese slices.
- In a medium bowl, blend the crushed crackers, grated parmesan, and salt and pepper. Sprinkle the cracker mixture over the cheese to create the next layer.
- Pour melted butter over the top of the casserole and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until juices run clear and cracker crust is browned a tad.
- Sauce: the last ten minutes your chicken is cooking you should start your sauce.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan slowly.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Next, slowly pour in the chicken broth and milk.
- Whisk continuously for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.