This is a snap to prepare, tastes great, looks pretty darn good and is good for you, too! WIN WIN WIN!
It is the first of the year and I am guesses more than a few of us are committing to healthy lifestyle choices, or trying anyway! This salad makes that easier! We actually liked it enough to make it TWICE this week. Another awesome thing about Kale is that is lasts longer in the fridge! Most salad gets all wilty but kale stays nice (maybe even better) even with dressing for awhile!
You can always add or take away items from the salad to change it up or cater to your preferences but here is what I used:
4 cups chopped Kale
1 0r 2 Avocados (I used 1 but we REALLY like that stuff so 2 might’ve been better)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cup grape tomatoes
2/3 cup cooked quinoa
1 or 2 lemon slices for squeezing, extra if desired for serving
2-3 Tbsp. of the Vinaigrette of your choice (I used a French Vinaigrette. There are many recipes to make your own but Brianna’s Homestyle sells a great one if you’d prefer:)
- Place the 4 cups of kale into your large mixing bowl and drizzle it with olive oil; use your hands to spread the oil throughout the kale. Massage the kale with your fingers for a few minutes (this can help cut down on the bitterness).
- Prepare the quinoa according to the package directions (I cooked 1/2 cup with one cup water to achieve my 2/3 cups cooked). When it is finished, allow it to cool to room temperature.
- While the quinoa cooks, chop your avocado into smallish pieces, set aside.
- Slice your lemon and squeeze one or two wedges over the kale and mix. (I would start with one and add a second if needed for taste or serve a wedge alongside each serving to be added as desired)
- Add the cooled quinoa, avocado and tomatoes to the kale. Toss gently.
- Add vinaigrette (if desired, you can cut fat/calories here by simply adding extra lemon if the flavor suits you–my kids like the french vinaigrette flavor and if they eat kale salad, I am willing, happily, to comply.