I was making a really flavor filled chicken dish the other night and trying to come up with a nice side dish to compliment it. It needed to be yummy, but simple enough in flavor to not have TOO much going on next to the chicken. Viola! This was born and has been made 3 times since! Everyone loved it, the kids went back for more! It takes no time at all to make and just a few ingredients! Plan about 20 minutes to prepare and the recipe as listed should serve 6.
Lemony Corn Quinoa “Salad”
2 ears corn (or one cup frozen sweet corn defrosted in a pinch)
1 Tablespoon grated fresh lemon zest
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 Tablespoon honey
2 cups uncooked quinoa
4 scallions, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the corn in a large pot and fill it with enough water to cover the corn and bring it to a boil. As soon as the water comes to a boil, turn off the heat and let the pot stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
2. Remove the corn from the pot and let it cool. You can move on to the next steps and then when time permits, come back and carefully cut the kernels off the cob.
3. Prepare the “dressing” by whisking together the lemon zest, lemon juice, melted butter, and honey in a small bowl.
4. Cook the quinoa in a pot of of boiling salted water according to the package directions.
5. Once the quinoa is cooked, add it, the corn kernels and the chopped scallions to the bowl. Mix in the “dressing” well and season with salt and pepper if desired.
You can adjust your corn amount (adding more is fun:) to your liking as well.