YUM YUM YUM! A relatively fast dinner that is TOTALLY decadent!!!
Scallops made me nervous but I keep the heat to medium, medium high for only a couple minutes and did not overcook…not even a bit rubbery and SO YUMMY! The prosciutto was a MAJOR fantastic addition!
- 1 Lb. asparagus
- 3 1/2 tablespoons butter (I used salted)
- 1 and 1/2 ounces of thinly sliced prosciutto, bake in 1/2 inch strips and then crumble when cool
- 1 pound sea scallops
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chicken stock (or 1/4 tsp of chicken granules dissolved in 1/4 cup water)
- Cook the asparagus in a large sauce-pan of boiling salted water for 8 minutes. Then transfer the asparagus to a colander but leave the pan of water simmering on the stove.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet. Add the prosciutto and cook over medium heat until it is crispy. This took me about 5 minutes. Transfer the prosciutto to a plate for later. When it is cool enough and you have down time, crumble it.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the same skillet. Add the scallops and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook them over medium to medium high heat until browned. I set a timer and did exactly 2 minutes per side. They were not very brown, but they did not end up rubbery in the end, which is GROSS:(
- Now transfer the scallops to a plate.
- In the same pan again, add the lemon zest and cook it over medium heat for one minute. Add the lemon juice and simmer for 30 seconds. Now add the chicken stock and simmer for about 3 minutes. Stir constantly and scrape the sides and bottom well as you go. Add the last 1/2 tablespoon of butter and then eturn the scallops with any juice on the plate back to the skillet. Cook this over low to medium heat until heated through–I went with about 5 minutes.
- During this same 5 minutes, return the asparagus to the simmering water so it can heat through again.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- When ready, put the asparagus in a shallow platter or dish and season with a bit of garlic salt, spoon the scallops over it and pour the sauce on top. Finally, Top with the fried prosciutto and serve ASAP so it is nice and warm!