I did it again. Looked at the clock at 4:30 and realized I did not know what was for dinner. I did not plan to try something new last night, but I had the ingredients to pull this together, with some creativity, and it was a hit! I did not have bread crumbs or croutons, but I opted to make my own with bread and spices. The kids were excited for what was dinner when the “toast” was in the oven because it smelled so good! I used Dave’s Killer Seed Bread but a gluten free or any variety will work. I will break down the breadcrumb process first, but it you opt to buy croutons or breadcrumbs, skip this part.
Do it yourself Italian Breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 300 degrees
For 1 Cup of breadcrumbs:
Place 3 slices of bread on a baking sheet
Sprinkle about 2 TSP of each of the following
Place in the oven for just about 10 minutes. Place in a ziplock bag and smash them up! Done and homemade!
Now the Chicken Parmesan…
- 2 uncooked skinless, boneless chicken breasts sliced in thin “coin”, see the photo
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or 2 tsp minced garlic (I used Minced:)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1/4 tbsp dried oregano
- 3/4 regular jar (24 oz) pasta sauce (or 2.5 cups of home made marinara or pasta sauce)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of your bread crumbs, store bought breadcrumbs or smashed croutons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Evenly place the chicken in the bottom of the dish in a single layer.
- Sprinkle the crushed garlic, red pepper, basil and oregano evenly over the chicken.
5. Spread the sauce evenly across the top.
6. On top of the sauce, evenly sprinkle a 1/2 cup of the Mozzarella and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan evenly across the top.
7. Sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly across the top.
8. Top the casserole with the rest of the cheeses.
9. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 minutes, then bump up the heat to 375 degrees for an additional 10 minutes until cheese is a bit browned.
I choose to pair it with some spinach and a half “garlic bread” bagel because I had them in the house!
It is best to allow to stand for a few minutes after baking.