Who doesn’t love a nice bowl of Pasta Carbonara? What usually gets us is the guilt…
Guilt no more with this recipe! I healthier spin on an old favorite!!!
SUPER easy to make, this is a great, yummy and satisfying weeknight or quick weekend meal!
- 12 oz. box of Whole Wheat Pasta (you can use quinoa or another of your favorite instead)
- 2 Chicken Breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 6 ounces of turkey bacon, chopped into bite sized pieces (truth be told, I am using REAL bacon next time:)
- 2 TBSP. of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (plus some extra for topping)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (dry is OK if you don’t have it on hand)
- Start by bringing 4 quarts of water to a boil for the pasta.
- While water is heating up, cook the chicken and bacon in a large non stick pan or skillet with the olive oil over medium high heat. Begin with your chicken and add your bacon about 3 minutes later. Cook until chicken is cooked through and the bacon is crisp. Add your garlic and stir the mixture for one minute and then reduce the heat to low.
- Once your water is boiling, cook the pasta as directed
- While your pasta is cooking, combine your egg, milk, yogurt and pepper.
- Once al dente, drain the pasta and add it to your bacon and garlic mixture.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Next, Add your milk/egg/yogurt mixture to the pasta and toss constantly until sauce thickens, about 5-6 minutes.
- Serve immediately! Garnish with chopped parsley and extra Parmesan cheese to your liking.
Optional: Don’t feel like chicken or don’t have any in the house??? Leave it out!
Optional: Add 1/2 cup of cooked peas to at at the time you add your milk mixture.
I used Turkey bacon the first time I made this and everyone liked it a lot. I think using regular bacon instead will send it to off the charts tasty!!!