Chicken and Avocado Stuffed Pitas
OK. Total Photo fail, I know. Where is the chicken? It is BEHIND the veggie mix–as directed in the recipe, but it doesn’t photograph as well! Feel free to mix the whole ingredient list prior to adding to your pita if you want to see your chicken:)
This was SUPER EASY, especially is you use my “leftover” chicken approach. The recipe calls for either shredded or diced chicken. My husband has a weird aversion to shredded chicken so I used diced. Your options are many. You can use part of a rotisserie chicken, grill extra one night prior (my preference) and either shred or dice, or bake chicken just for these pitas. I use the leftover option, just put an extra 1 1/2 in when you cook or grill earlier in the week and use that!
1 to 1 1/2 Lb. Shredded or diced chicken
1/2 cup to 6 oz (why not use a small carton?) of Plain Greek Yogurt
1 tsp. Cilantro
1 large avocado peeled and diced in bite size pieces
1-2 tsp. garlic salt
8-10 cherry tomatoes, cut in quarters or thirds
4 Slices of White Cheese (I used provolone, but swiss is often used)
1/2 Lemon (for the juice:)
4 Pita Pockets
1 TBSP. olive oil
1. In a bowl, combine your greek yogurt and garlic salt. I went with 1 tsp initially but ended up adding a whole tsp more. So, do this to taste.
2. In another bowl, combine your avocado, tomatoes, lemon juice and 1/2 tsp of cilantro.
3. Put your precooked chicken into a skillet with your olive oil and 1/2 tsp of your cilantro. Allow to warm and brown for 4-5 minutes on medium low.
4. Place 1/2 piece of cheese in each of the 1/2 pita pockets (you will make 8 halves total). I opted to place the pitas with cheese in the oven on 350 (or toaster oven) for just a few minutes to warm the pita and slightly melt the cheese. This is optional, it can be served cold as well–but I prefer warm with the cold veggies:) Yum!
5. Assemble by adding 1/8 of the chicken to each pita half, drizzle with the yogurt dressing and add a good size spoon of the avocado and tomato mixture.